Saturday, April 3, 2010

Our Traveling Thursday..

Thursday April 1st we woke up early to start our day traveling. The first train was from Florence to Rome where we jumped off to get our tickets for Easter Mass. We passed by some pretty buildings and monuments on our quick intro to Rome. We went into a basicila of St. Mary and it is the most beautiful church I have ever seen. On one of the arches my grandmother, Reginas, name was engraved. It felt like a sign that she was watching over me and protecting me as I traveled around. She was a traveler herself and she might be where I inherited my heart for traveling. She was also very religious so being in Rome during Holy Week is where I am sure she would have loved to be. I have a feeling she is with me in spirit and is making sure I am kept safe. So Mom, dont worry Grandma is taking great care of me. Too bad I couldnt have some of her potato salad and chex mix too..

After our adventure in Rome we boarded the train for Naples. Right outside of the station we had our first experience of the hectic chaos that Naples truly is. To be honest, I was dissapointed with Naples from the start. It was not an inchanting or charming Italian city but grungy, dirty, and overpopulated. It was a long treck to our Hostel and we got lost again. But there were two very nice Italians who tried to help us find our way. The was one of the few redeeming qualities about Naples was that there were a few friendly people. The majority of the population however seemed to be in a rush to get somewhere and didnt really care if you were in the path of their moped. The whole city seemed to be driving mopeds. They were all over the place! I was worried that I was either going to get run over or mugged as the city was pretty sketchy as well.

On one of our wanders we came across an alley with laundry hanging from almost every balcony. Talk about a stereotype! Of course I got a picture of that. Unfortunately, my picture is not that great but it will serve to remind me of the view. We also went into a Duomo which was another minor redeeming factor for the city. It was very pretty inside and we were looking around during a mass so that added a level of intrique as well. There was something enchanting about listening to a choir sing in another language as you look at an old gorgeous church. I also saw a famous Italian actor, or so I believe. He looked super familiar and I couldnt place him. The next morning I realized that he has to be an actor. So if anyone knows of famous Italian actors send their names my way. When I have more time I will try to figure out who it was.

Even though it was hard to find the hostel, I really liked it. The vibe was very relaxed and the walls had interesting paintings on them and the common room usually had a person or two relaxing. We met a few Americans and Canadians along with an Australian and British girl. The later ran the place. We had many great conversations with them and a few had just visited Rome and one lived there so they gave us tons of insider advice on where to visit and where to eat.

That night we ate the best pizza in all of Naples. And since Naples is known for having the best pizza in the world we ate the best pizza in the whole world! Let me tell you for 4 euros for a medium it was amazing! It was a margharita pizza from Pizza de Michele.

As we relaxed in the hostel that night I decided to read what the travel book has to say about Iowa. In the central Iowa section it says there are more pigs than people. Way to try and get tourists to come to Iowa! haha But I have to admit that unless you have someone you know there it might not have the same touristy pull as Rome or Florence.. But I would take it anyday over Naples!

So that was my day in Naples. I will be blogging as much as I can but currently I am on a pay as you go internet cafe computer. So have a great Easter and know that I love you and am praying for you! Enjoy your chocolate eggs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment