Saturday, April 17, 2010

Memories in Munchen

We arrived in Munich on Saturday April 10th 2010. I was soo excited to see Jakob, my best guy friend in Belfast. I hadnt seen him for a few weeks and was really missing him. He is the person I go to when I need to be cheered up and I hate going without my daily "Jakob talk".

So needless to say I almost knocked him over when I gave him a hug on the train platform in Munich. haha We went back to his apartment where we met Jonathan Noe his flatmate. His nickname is NoeNoe and at first it was weird calling a guy "No, No" and it served as a funny joke for the remainder of our time there. NoeNoe and I ended up being really similar and Jakob had his hands full when we realized that we have a lot of funny "blackmail" stories about him. We both serve as Jakob's confidant so we shared a lot of stories and laughed at Jakob's expense. But he handled our teasing very well. :) haha

The first night we made fajitas, Jakob and my favorite dinner! Very German we know. ;) We also got three types of beers to try out. They were augustiner, franziskaner weißbier (a wheat beer) and Radler (a lemonady beer). I have never really liked wheat beer, but I really liked this one! It was actually one of the best beers I've ever had! So Billy you should be happy to know that I have acquired the taste for wheat beer since you love it so much. :)

We went out to three different bars that night. The second one was my favorite as there was a dance floor! We also got some sausage and chips (french fries) while we were out. I asked for ketchup with it and forgot that ketchup in Germany and some other European countries does not taste like American ketchup. My advice is to stick to American ketchup if you ever want some overseas. European ketchup is just not up to par in my opinion, and I'm not even a ketchup fanatic. haha

The next morning NoeNoe and Jakob cooked us a traditional Bavarian breakfast, weißwurst-frühstück. It consisted of white sausage, honey mustard, pretzels, and franziskaner weißbier. It was such a good breakfast and I seemed to crave it the next few mornings I woke up. I have told Jakob that we should try to find the stuff in Ireland so we can make the breakfast again! :)That day we just relaxed and watched movies in Jakob's flat. We also wandered around Munich for a bit, but we mainly just hungout at his place.

The next day Mackenzie, Sean, and I fulfilled our tourist duties and went on another Sandeman's free walking tour. Our tour guide was an Irish guy so we enjoyed listening to an Irish accent once again. I have come to realize that I can tell English accents apart a lot better than when I arrived in Ireland. It is much easier for me to pick out an Irish, Aussie, British, or American from the crowd. What the person is wearing is also a good indication of where they are from. Take Americans for example, they are probably the easiest to spot just look for someone with a north face, baseball cap, baggy jeans, athletic sneakers, or a tshirt on. Most Europeans dress up more when they got out in public. Americans on the other hand don't care what others think of their sweatpants. Aussies are probably the closest to Americans in style as they also don't have a problem wearing just a plain tshirt and jeans around. Europeans on the other hand will occasionally wear a tshirt and jeans in public but that is the rare exception.

I learned some interesting facts on the tour. For example, Germany is a younger COUNTRY than America is. Germany did not become a country until 1871. Before that it was a collection of so called states. Munich was a city that was greatly involved in the "white gold" trade, which as some of you have probably guessed is salt. Munich also goes by another common name, Munchen.

That night was our last in Munich so we all went out again. We went to a fooseball bar where we stayed for quite some time. Jakob and NoeNoe obviously frequent that bar quite often as they were very good at fooseball. We stayed there for awhile and then returned to Jakob's flat for the rest of the night. The next morning we headed out for our long day of traveling to Barcelona.

We had 5 hours of chilling at an airport to wait for Lainey to meet up with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment