Monday, April 12, 2010

Break Time in Austria

I figured since I have written so much for every other day it would be okay to combine a few days into this one post since we did a lot of relaxing while in Austria and I do not want to bore you.

Tuesday night we went by train to Venice. It was a 7 hour trip but we were lucky enough to not have any cabin companions so we got the thing all to ourselves and could pull the seats down to make a bed. Mackenzie and I slept most of the way and I was shocked to find out 4 hours had passed when the train conductor woke me up to check our tickets. On the train we met a girl from China who translated our names into Chinese. My three syllables meant something like ouch, waltz, and determined. So we decided that meant that I was determined to always find the best in life and even during hard times I can find reasons to dance. This reminded me of Jeni since one of her favorite quotes is "Its not about waiting for the rain to pass, but it is about learning to dance in the rain."

Julia picked us up at 4am when we arrived in Venice. We were all excited to see her but pretty tired from the trip. Her moms boyfriend has a flat that he works in and he allowed us to stay there for our whole time in Salzburg. It is a really nice place and we are all enjoying the space to spread out and relax.

After taking a much needed nap we walked around Salzburg and saw a lot of the famous sights and where Julia grew up. One thing we saw was the shopping district with all their old signs outside the doors which the street is famous for.


That night Mackenzie and I went out with Julia and her friend Marion. We went to a bar where their friend is the bartender. Let me tell you.. that is the way to go if you want to have a lot of fun and not pay a ton of money for drinks. We drank a lot that night and stayed out pretty late since the bars didnt have a closing time. My favorite memory of the night was Mackenzie and I dancing to "born in the USA". We couldnt be more proud to be from the states at that moment. This might have to become our American drinking theme song since every other country seems to have one but us!

The next day we slept in and then went to do some more sight seeing. We saw a lot of the scenes from the Sound of Music which was really neat. Laura, I thought of you when I wandered around to the various sights. I didnt get up into the meadow where she sings because it was quite a drive or I would have had to pay for a Sound of Music tour and we were playing it pretty cheap. So I saw all the sights around Salzburg and that was pretty much it. I will definitely be watching the movie soon though to see if I recognize the scenery that I saw in the movie.

We also took the time in Salzburg to relax. We watched three movies that night. We watched Eurotrip, Dear John, and When in Rome. I loved When in Rome! It was such a cute movie and was fun to see monuments and buildings that we had just seen in Rome. It was cool watching a movie and being able to know the significance of the buildings I was seeing. It was a very similar feeling watching Eurotrip as a lot of those places I had been as well.

While in Salzburg we ate a lot of good homecooked meals! It made me miss home and the yummy food that I get there. I am excited to have homecooked meals again. In Salzburg we had schnitzel, two other awesome meat dishes, and spaghetti and shrimp. It was such a nice change of pace from our bread and nutella meals that we were having..

No comments:

Post a Comment