Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Reflection on My Time in Ireland: The First Few Adventures

The first adventure I went on was to Belfast Castle and the Caves. Sean, Jenna, Jitske, Jakob, and I embarked on that adventure on Sunday February 7th. On the way up we found this massive tree to climb in. It kind of reminded me of the tree which my Dad and I build a tree house in. But unfortunately, as we climbed the hills the clouds started to roll in and we ended up not being able to see any of the view when we reached the top. This is a picture of us at the very top of the climb. You can't see any of the city below. The next picture was taken by a friend who climbed the hill on a very nice day. You can see the difference is paramount. Regardless, it was a fun hike and I will definitely be taking my family there when they come.



My first trek out of the Belfast area was to see the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, the Northern Coast, and Giants Causeway. That adventure occurred on Valentines Day, my second weekend in Ireland. The trip started a little early since we had gone to bed pretty late the night before. So to the detriment of the Irish country side some of us slept a little on the way there. Granted, I didn't sleep the whole way because I did want to see some of it, but my drooping eyes got the best of me in the end. I did however see a lot of sheep and lambs which made me feel right at home considering it is lambing season. We got such a big group together to go on the tour that we filled a whole tour bus! There were 50 of us students exploring the Northern Coast together. As I look back on the many trips I have taken, so far I would have to say this is my favorite! I really loved everything about this trip! This was the Ireland I had come to see. The coastline is gorgeous and the view from the rope bridge was amazing. We spent so much time on the rope bridge taking pictures that the man yelled at us to keep moving!

The fairytale behind the Causeway is that an Irish giant and a Scottish giant built the rocks as stepping stones so they could meet up with each other and fight. These tessellations are truly a spectacular sight. And the view from the hillside is even more awe-inspiring. I would definitely recommend that anyone who visits Ireland visits the Northern coast.

The trip concluded with a visit to Bushmills distillery. I have to say that I do not have a taste for straight whiskey, but that I wll be working on it in my few months here.

No comments:

Post a Comment